About this agency

General assistance helps Arapahoe County residents with emergency situations and is available to individuals who are not currently receiving public assistance. The program varies with each situation and may assist with the following emergency needs:

  •     Burial costs
  •     Emergency help with utility bills
  •     Heating bills (not available during LEAP season if payment received for current year)
  •     Prescriptions
  •     Rent (not eligible if receiving subsidized housing assistance)
  •     Transportation (bus tokens or pass)
General assistance also can be used for other emergencies, depending on the situation and availability of funding. Funding is not always available. An individual may only receive general assistance once in a 12-month period.

To be eligible for general assistance, you must meet the following requirements:
  •     Be a resident of Arapahoe County
  •     Be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal U.S. resident who is: 
  1.         Disabled, or
  2.         Over the age of 60 years
  •     Complete an application for financial assistance.
  •     Meet the income requirements of 133 percent of Federal Poverty Guidelines.
  •     Have not received General Assistance within the past 12 months.
  •     Not currently be receiving benefits from a cash assistance program
How to Apply
To apply for General Assistance, please request an application at our Aurora or Littleton Human Services office. You will need to undergo an interview to determine if you qualify and if funds are available. Applicants also will receive information about additional community resources in the area.

Their office is available Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm to assist you.

  • Thumbnails

Leave a comment

Have you used the services of this agency? Tell others about your experience.

Find Rent Assistance

Select a state:


Enter a zip code:

Latest News

See all news