About this agency

Utility assistance programs available through the Department of Economic Security and its community partners assist low income households, particularly those with the lowest incomes who spend a high proportion of their household income on utilities, in meeting their immediate home energy, utility and telephone needs. Those programs include:

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP): DES subcontracts with community agencies to administer LIHEAP and provide one-time assistance to low income households for meeting the costs of their home energy. LIHEAP funding is based on a formula set by Congress based on each State's weather and low income population. Home energy is defined by statute as a source of heating or cooling in residential dwellings.

Utility and Telephone Discount Programs: DES administers four utility and telephone discount programs through agreements with Arizona Public Service Company (APS) and Qwest Corporation (Qwest) for low-income households:

  •     Qwest’s Telephone Assistance Program for the Medically Needy pays for basic telephone service for individuals who have a medical need for a telephone in the home and are at or below 150% of the federal poverty level.
  •     Qwest’s Lifeline Telephone Discount Program provides a discount to the basic telephone rates of households at or below 150% of the federal poverty level or who are receiving other, specifically defined DES services.
  •     Qwest’s Senior Telephone Discount Program provides a discount on the basic telephone rates of individuals who are age 65 or older, and are at or below 100% of the federal poverty level.

Leave a comment

Have you used the services of this agency? Tell others about your experience.

Claim your stimulus dollars

Free Government Money Programs For Your Family Get Started Now

Find Rent Assistance

Select a state:


Enter a zip code:

Latest News

  • Massachusetts HomeBASE Program

    HomeBASE (Building Alternatives to Shelter) is a new Massachusetts state program that provides permanent housing to homeless families. The state...

  • Complaints and Frequently Asked Questions

    Who owns and operates RentAssistance.us?

    RentAssistance is a privately owned website and is not associated with any...

  • Get Help Paying Your Rent

    The monthly rent payment is typically the largest expense that comes out of your pocket every month. In today's economy where people are...

  • How Can I Get Section 8? As I am sure you are aware, the Section 8 program (RAP) is a hud government funded program offered by housing authorities. The Section 8 program is...
See all news